Have disaster supplies on hand
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Portable, battery-operated radio and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Non-perishable (canned food) and water
- Non-electric can opener
- Essential medicines
- Cash and credit cards
Make arrangements for pets and livestock
Pets may not be allowed into emergency shelters for health and space reasons. Contact your local humane society for information on animal shelters.
Protect your windows
- Permanent shutters are the best protection. A lower-cost approach is to put up plywood panels. Use 1/2 inch plywood--marine plywood is best--cut to fit each window. Remember to mark which board fits which window. Pre-drill holes every 18 inches for screws. Do this long before the storm.
- Trim back branches from trees
- Trim branches away from your home and cut all dead or weak branches on any trees on your property.